Agenda and approved minutes – November 2023

Document Date

19/12/2023

Created by

N/A

Category

Meetings

Accessible version of document​

A MEETING OF BOZEAT PARISH COUNCIL WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY, 20th NOVEMBER 2023, FOLLOWING PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AT 7pm. 

THIS MEETING WILL BE HELD AT TLC, DYCHURCH LANE, BOZEAT.

*PLEASE NOTE THAT MEETINGS MAY BE RECORDED

 

A G E N D A

 

  1. To consider accepting apologies for absence.
  2. To record any new declarations of interest from members in items to be discussed.

 

  1. To approve the minutes from the meeting of Bozeat Parish Council held on 16th October 2023.

 

  1. Matters arising from the previous meeting/s: –
  2. Circulating documents – to note the progress of any packs that are circulating.
  3. Training – to agree any training courses requested by members of the council and receive reports on any attended.
  4. Village Risk Assessments – review of templates/schedule.
  5. List of council achievements – to note that this is ongoing.
  6. Doctor’s surgery – to note that a meeting has been requested.
  7. Santa Pod questionnaires and contact forms – initial results.

 

  1. Council Services – to receive reports.
  2. Cemetery – general report.
  3. Cemetery – to receive an update on any outstanding maintenance works [extension to Garden of Remembrance]. To note that the war memorial has been cleaned.
  4. Cemetery – grass-cutting contract from 1st April 2024
  5. Cemetery – anvil memorial.
  6. Cemetery – break in and criminal damage to Lodge door.
  7. Cemetery – to consider providing additional access to the car park and repairs to the surface of the access lane.
  8. Allotments – general report.
  9. Allotments – to receive an update on maintenance works [replacement noticeboard; replacement gate post; no dogs signs].
  10. Allotments – report from the annual meeting of tenants held on Saturday,18th November from 11am.

 

  1. Local Environment – to receive the following reports.
  2. Highways – including parking restrictions and speed reduction near the primary school.
  3. Street Lights – to report/note any lights that are not working.
  4. Parish Paths Warden/Rights of Way, including loss of land on TA10.
  5. Village Warden.
  6. BEES Group.
  7. St Mary’s Road – wide verge.
  8. Verge mowing – to note any issues and/or revisions to the mowing map/schedule.
  9. Verge in Little Close – to consider the future management of a narrow strip of verge.
  10. Easton Lane – to investigate the ownership of the wide verge between Easton House and York Cottage and consider maintaining the area to benefit nature.
  11. Village Green – to consider providing wildflower signs to protect areas.
  12. Footpath crossing signs – to consider providing footpath warning signs for the A509 where the footpath crosses the road.

 

  1. Planning – to receive a report.
  2. Current/new planning applications.

 

  1. Representatives’ reports – to receive the following reports.
  2. Bozeat Playing Field Association.
  3. Bozeat Primary School.
  4. Police Liaison.
  5. Public transport.
  6. NNC parish and ward meetings.

 

  1. Village Hall Working Party – to accept a report.

 

  1. IT and Website.
    1. Website migration – to discuss any outstanding items.

 

  1. Police – to receive reports.
  2. Crimes – to note any crimes that are notified to the council.

 

  1. Local Events.
    1. 11th/12th November 2023 – report from Remembrance Day/Sunday events.
    2. 2nd December 2023 – Christmas Tree Lights – update.
    3. May 2024 – to consider holding an event on the Village Green, possibly to include a Meet The Village event.
    4. 6th June 2024 – 80th anniversary of D-Day.
    5. 14th July 2024 – Summer Fete at the Playing Field.

 

  1. Finance
  2. Payments – to receive a report and to approve payments to be made this month.
  3. Virement – to approve a virement of £200 from the Bank Charges budget to the Photocopying/Printing budget.
  4. Bank card for council use – to receive a report.
  5. Insurance – to arrange for a full review of the council’s insurance cover.

 

  1. Correspondence – to acknowledge receipt of correspondence received since the last meeting.

 

  1. On Hold – to note the following agenda items are on hold
    1. Emergency Plan review.
    2. Audit of local council adopted policies and procedures.
    3. Revision of policies and guidelines.
    4. Thank You event for village volunteers.
    5. Meet The Village event.
    6. Cemetery – repairs to railings.
    7. Cemetery – tree safety assessments.
    8. Village Green CCTV and planters.

 

  1. To receive any items for the next agenda.

 

  1. Date and time of next meeting – to note that the next meeting of Bozeat Parish Council will take place on Monday, 18th December 2023, immediately following Public Participation at 7pm. The meeting will be held at TLC, Dychurch Lane, Bozeat.

 

SIGNED BY LYNDIS PAYNE, CLERK TO BOZEAT PARISH COUNCIL.

 

Chairman’s Diary Dates: –

  • 2nd December 2023 – Christmas Lights switch-on event.
  • May 2024 – Event on the Village Green.
  • 6th June 2024 – 80th Anniversary of D-Day.
  • 14th July 2024 – Summer Fete at the Playing Field.

 

Achievements – list of projects that the council hopes to achieve during this term of office.

  • Resolution of traffic issues connected with Santa Pod activities.

 

 

 

Page 2156

 

A MEETING OF BOZEAT PARISH COUNCIL WAS HELD ON MONDAY, 20th         NOVEMBER 2023, AT TLC, DYCHURCH LANE, BOZEAT.  PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AT 7pm. 

 

PRESENT: – Cllrs Skittrall [Chairman]; Brown; Cooke; Docker; Foward; Gibbins; Morris; Pollard; Pritchard and Steel.

 

PUBLIC: – No members of the public were present at the meeting.

 

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Duckles.

  1. Declarations of interest.

No new declarations of interest were received.

 

Cllr Skittrall proposed that the minutes from the meeting of Bozeat Parish Council held on 16th October 2023 be approved, this was seconded by Cllr Foward and a vote was taken = 9 for with 1 abstention, motion carried.

 

  1. Matters arising.
  2. Circulating documents – one pack is currently circulating.
  3. Training – the Clerk reported that she had attended a compulsory training session at the meeting venue.
  4. Village Risk Assessments – Cllr Morris reported that progress has been made and he will meet with the Clerk to discuss revisions by the end of the year.
  5. List of council achievements – noted that this is an ongoing project.
  6. Doctor’s surgery – noted that a meeting has been requested, but no response received to date. Resolved to defer this item until the next meeting.
  7. Santa Pod questionnaires and contact forms – a report providing the initial results from returned forms was discussed.

 

  1. Council services.
  2. Cemetery – general report – Cllr Docker recommended that the flower beds on section A of the cemetery be cleared and new rose bushes planted. Cllr Pritchard proposed that delegated powers to spend up to £200 be given to Cllr Docker, this was agreed.  Cllr Docker will meet with the cemetery contractor tomorrow to discuss this project and the extension to the Garden of Remembrance.
  3. Cemetery – to receive an update on any outstanding maintenance works [extension to Garden of Remembrance]. It was noted that the war memorial has now been cleaned and agreed to remove this item from the agenda,
  4. Cemetery – grass-cutting contract from 1st April 2024 – Cllrs Brown and Docker to review the contract documents.
  • Cemetery – anvil memorial – this to be incorporated into the extension to the Garden of Remembrance.
  1. Cemetery – break in and criminal damage to Lodge door – thanks were recorded to Cllr Gibbins for arranging for the door to be secured. The Police have been informed.
  2. Cemetery – to consider providing additional access to the car park and repairs to the surface of the access lane – agreed to defer this item until the next meeting.
  3. Allotments – general report – no issues reported.
  4. Allotments – to receive an update on maintenance works [replacement noticeboard; replacement gate post – an odd job form has been issued for this work – this was agreed; no dogs signs – these have been put up.
  5. Allotments – report from the annual meeting of tenants held on Saturday,18th November from 11am. Around 10-11 tenants attended the meeting and issues raised were noted.

Page 2157 – 20th November 2023

 

  1. Local environment.
  2. Highways – Cllr Foward presented a report and noted that a positive response has been received to the speed reduction proposals near to the school. There is a hold up on the installation of additional parking restrictions due to objections to a proposal in Wellingborough – noting that a single application for the North Northants area is submitted annually.  A lorry parked fully on the verge at the junction of Roberts Street and Mill Road has caused substantial damage, this has been reported to North Northants Council.
  • Street lights – no issues reported.
  1. Parish Paths Warden/Rights of Way, including loss of land on TA10 – Cllr Pritchard reported that she had viewed the area on TA10 and felt that it offered an improvement so would recommend taking no further action, agreed. Cllr Skittrall reported that he had submitted a Street Doctor report about this issue.  A no cycling sign at the top of Bull Close has been replaced recently.
  2. Village Warden – report received and noted.
  3. BEES Group – it was noted that the group will meet soon.
  4. St Mary’s Road – wide verge. The Chairman reported that Cllr Brown has obtained information about the extent of the land that is designated highways, but not identified ownership of the land.  Cllr Morris suggested sowing wildflowers anyway but there was concern about the volume of dog mess being left on the area, clearly by a regular dog walker who never clears up.  It was resolved to add an item to the next agenda – to consider the purchase of a suitable camera in order to identify the culprit.
  5. Verge mowing – Cllr Cooke reported that he had complained about the state some areas were left in after a recent visit by the mowing contractor, and it was noted that the contractors usually have one worker mowing and another using a strimmer or blower, but there seemed to just be a mowing worker last visit. This meant that cuttings were left strewn across pavements and roads.  Members were urged to send any photos or videos to Cllr Cooke so they can be sent on to the contractors.  It was resolved to consider alternative providers at the end of this contract.
  6. Verge in Little Close – Cllr Pritchard reported that she had viewed the area that has been suggested for a wildflower area and felt it unsuitable due to the ground sloping, the area being shaded, and because anyone working on it would have to stand in the road to do so. She recommended that it remains on the verge mowing schedule.
  7. Easton Lane – to investigate the ownership of the wide verge between Easton House and York Cottage and consider maintaining the area to benefit nature. It was noted that Cllr Brown has obtained information about the area and it is mainly designated highways verge.  The Clerk noted that, when verge mowing was still managed by Northants County Council, the contractors only cut a mower’s width so this area would not have been mown for quite a few years, it was agreed that the area needs better management.
  8. Village Green – to consider providing wildflower signs to protect areas. It was resolved that Cllr Morris progress this project.
  9. Footpath crossing signs – recent emails confirming that there are some signs already in place were noted, although it is difficult to see them due to foliage. Cllr Brown suggested requesting a 40mph speed limit in the area and it was resolved to investigate if this might be possible.

 

  1. Planning.
  2. Current/new planning applications – Cllr Skittrall proposed that his report [Appendix A] be accepted, this was seconded by Cllr Cooke and agreed. It was noted that the application for the former Nene Milling site has now been approved so the provision of a new village hall is more likely.  It was noted that work to erect a new garage in the village has stopped following a report to the Enforcement Officer.  Cllr Skittrall reported that he had received additional information today relating to the requested turning circle at the top of Hope Street – the road is unlikely to be adopted as highways by North Northants Council and so

Page 2158 – 20th November 2023

 

remains private land, however it is unlikely that drivers can actually be prevented from turning.

 

  1. Representatives’ reports.
  2. Bozeat Playing Field Association – Cllr Gibbins reported that the committee haven’t met recently. The new benches have been received and residents invited to sponsor them.  Cllrs Cooke and Gibbins to prepare a report with recommendations and bring this back to the next meeting.  The existing CCTV system needs to be extended to cover the new cricket pitch.  The expected maintenance work to the MUGA hasn’t been done due to adverse weather conditions and it was agreed to leave this until the Spring.
  3. Bozeat Primary School – it was noted that the primary school is currently advertising for community governors and suggested that Cllr Duckles may wish to apply.
  4. Police Liaison – Cllr Steel provided a report, noting that there has not been input from the local area and she has not heard anything about the cemetery lodge break-in.   
  5. Public transport – Cllr Pollard reported that the services are running well and there have been no issues. Cllr Pritchard reported that she finds the published timetables difficult to read and interpret.
  6. NNC parish and ward meetings – the Chairman reported that he had attended the Town and Parishes Forum meeting on 16th November and will circulate the meeting notes when they have been provided. There is a current consultation of Town and Parishes Forums but very little response received to date.

 

  1. Village Hall Working Party

It was noted that the group will meet next week.

 

  1. IT and Website.
    1. Website migration – the Chairman reported that the new website will be published shortly, Cllr Brown will provide access to the current site for the web designer so that the migration can take place. There will be some adjustments, after publication but the bulk of the work has now been completed.

 

  1. Crimes – the cemetery lodge break-in was the only local crime reported.
  2. Local events.
    1. 11th/12th November 2023 – noted that these were well attended and letters of thanks prepared for the Bozeat Branch of the Royal British Legion and the person who played the Last Post on Remembrance Sunday.

2nd December 2023 – Christmas Tree Lights – Cllr Gibbins reported that the tree will arrive soon and a working party will put it up, the lights have been checked.  Cllr Docker reported that the school wind-chime group will be performing.  Cllr Cooke asked who is managing the event as he and Cllr Gibbins only agreed to organise the tree.  Cllr Morris reported that he understood that management of the event had been taken over by others, this was not the understanding of Cllr Cooke.  [It was decided that events have a named coordinator to prevent confusion in future].  Cllr Skittrall reported that he would manage the event.  It was noted that lights will be needed for the wind-chime group and the PA system will need to be set up.

  1. May 2024 – to consider holding an event on the Village Green, possibly to include a Meet the Village event. It was agreed to defer this item until the January meeting.
  2. 6th June 2024 – 80th anniversary of D-Day. It was agreed to defer this item until the January meeting.
  3. 14th July 2024 – Summer Fete at the Playing Field. It was agreed to defer this item until the January meeting.

 

 

 

Page 2159 – 20th November 2023

 

  1. Payments – Cllr Foward proposed that a report [Appendix B] be accepted and the payments listed on it be approved, this was seconded by Cllr Cooke and agreed.
  2. Virement – it was resolved to approve a virement of £200 from the Bank Charges budget to the Photocopying/Printing budget.
  3. Bank card for council use – Cllr Skittrall noted that this has already been approved and agreed to remove this item from the agenda.
  4. Insurance review – Cllr Morris reported that he has made progress and reviewed the council’s insurance policy in order to ensure that the council is properly covered for areas where the Parish Council and Playing Field are jointly operating.

 

A list of correspondence received since the last meeting was acknowledged.

 

  1. On hold agenda items.
    1. Emergency Plan review – the Clerk reported that she would like to recommence work on this in the New Year and it was agreed that Cllrs Pritchard and Steel with the Clerk review the current plan. The Chairman reported that information was recently received from NorthantsACRE about emergency plans.
    2. Audit of local council adopted policies and procedures.
    3. Revision of policies and guidelines.
    4. Thank You event for village volunteers.
    5. Meet The Village event.
    6. Cemetery – repairs to railings.
    7. Cemetery – tree safety assessments.
    8. Village Green CCTV and planters.

 

  1. Items for the next agenda.
  • Purchase of a wildlife trail camera.

 

  1. Date and time of next meeting.

It was noted that the next meeting of Bozeat Parish Council will take place on Monday, 18th December 2023, immediately following Public Participation at 7pm.  The meeting will be held at TLC, Dychurch Lane, Bozeat.

 

 

Signed by the Chairman, 18th December 2023.